MANILA, Philippines – Vince Omal Medina, Emmanuel Garcia, and their Pinoy Alpha team have won the Chess Championships in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. With 8 wins and 1 loss, the team easily grabbed the championship.
Meanwhile, the Tagaytay team landed in 3rd place. There are also two individual gold medalists. GM Antonio and John Jabili Fronda, who won the gold medals in each of their individual games.
Vince Omal Medina is 21 years old, a student of BS-HRIM tracks in culinary arts in La Salle Benilde and hails from Cabuyao, Laguna.
Vince Omal Medina participated in various tournaments since his elementary years, and won medals as specified below:
• 2010 Palarong Pambansa
• UAAP Season 74 – Champion MVP
• UAAP Season 78 and 79 – Back to Back Champion
• 2012 World Youth Chess Championship, Vietnam
• 2014 Asean Age Group Macau – 2 golds, 1 silver, and 1 bronze
• 2014 Shell National Youth Active Chess
• 2015 Asean Age Group Singapore – 1 bronze
• 2016 Puregold International Chess Challenger – 2nd placer
• 2016 Pattaya, Thailand Chess Tournament – 2 silver medals
• 2017 Zamboanga National Chess Open – Champion
Medina’s latest triumph in Kuala Lumpur is another feather to his cap. This young man is humble and unassuming despite the fact that he is a multi-awarded chess player that Cabuyao, Laguna is proud of. His current Chess Rating is 2319; quite impressive for a 21 year old.