MANILA, Philippines – A petition for Nora Aunor’s “Thy Womb” for the Oscars 2014 is gaining ground at Change.org. It is addressed to the Special Oscars Committee, Film Academy of the Philippines.
Alvin Dela Cruz Bernardino, the petition’s proponent, needs at least 500 supporters. There are already 50 people who signed the petition.
The reasons cited why Nora Aunor’s “Thy Womb” should be chosen for Hollywood’s Oscars 2014 are:
- · Locally and internationally acclaimed
- · Global appeal/international exposure
- · Cultural relevance/significance and universal theme
- · Unconventional and organic film-making approach
- · High acting standard by the cast led by Nora Aunor
The recognition accorded to “Thy Womb” is unprecedented among films in the local entertainment. The film has received international recognition and awards including Best Actress awards for Nora Aunor and Best Director awards for Brillante Mendoza.
“Thy Womb” is a story of Shaleha, Bajau midwife, who is forced to cope with her own infertility and the desire of her husband for a child.
If any film and any actress deserve an Academy Award nomination, it is “Thy Womb” and Ms. Nora Aunor.