I oftentimes see a husband come from work, plop a pillow by the TV, and watch while the woman cooks, tends to the children, and sets the table. I agree that women by nature are more domesticated (Do I hear a violent reaction, from Holly?) He he he) But the problem is, both of them came from work and both of them are tired, so why is the husband not helping with the household chores? (Thank God, hubby is not like that…lol…it’s the opposite for me. He is the chef; I do the small side chores.)
But there are countless men, and I don’t mean locally only, who think the home is the turf of the woman and they seem reluctant to help with the household chores. A study conducted by Oxford University showed that many men are still not egalitarians..
Husbands should do housework simply because they should love their wives not only in words but also in action. One way of showing how much they love their wives is by doing housework without any prodding.
Aside from this compelling reason, here are more reasons why husbands should do housework:
1. They are the physically stronger sex so they should do housework! Housework, like washing clothes, vacuuming are physically demanding chores, so it’s only appropriate that husbands help because they are stronger and have more stamina.
2. Most wives nowadays are also career women. They work for a living and therefore share with whatever bills that are to be paid; the household chores therefore should also be shared because the wife comes home tired and needs all the rest she can get.
3. If the wife is not a career woman, taking care of the children alone is a daunting task that needs the cooperation and the helping hand of the husband. You could just imagine the wife getting up several times during the night to feed the baby and then getting up early again to feed the husband who will be going off to work. Only superwoman could stay awake almost all night long and be able to wake up early, day in and day out.
4. The husband should do housework so he’ll know how difficult a wife’s role is and would understand why sometimes a wife is so tired that she could not “cooperate” in the romantic overtures of the husband in bed.
5. The wife cannot do all the household work. This is because of so much to do and so little time. If the husband wants everything done in a day, then he has to chip in.
6. Housework is a form of exercise. Husbands who don’t have the time to exercise can adapt these methods and help the wife simultaneously as he exercises; two birds with one stone!
7. Sometimes, housework needs the expertise of a man, and who would be a better helper than the husband? Surely, the wife cannot call in the neighbors to replace a busted bulb, to paint the kitchen door, to attach bolts to a bedpost, etc. Only the husband can conscientiously do all these things, without cost. If couples want to save money, then the husband has to help in the housework.
Mentioned in the first paragraph, however, is the most important reason. A husband should do housework simply because he loves his wife and is willing to help her in all ways that he can.
They did it for love, they got married for love, and now they should work together in love. Now, that’s true love for me.
What do you think, ladies , should your husbands help you with the chores?
And husbands, are you willing to help your wives?
Photo by russelljsmith